I was talking with a pal who devotes a lot of her life to training others. I asked her how we would make any money out of a plan we were hatching. Her reply, “Oh there isn’t much money in it we do this because we love to do it”. Unfortunately she’ll never be a guru, because guru$ are all about the business plan.
“Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.
The guru biz plan:
- Over complicate something, get paid to decipher it.
- Be expensive, it makes some folks think it must be good.
- Be controversial on social media, get followers, teach therapists to give out therabands.
- Claim you’ve read old studies in multiple languages.
- Be arrogant, it usually comes with the territory.
- Be difficult to get in touch with, create the illusion of scarcity.
- Never move on from the original big idea that made your name, ignore contrary evidence.
- Become an expert in functional anatomy, dazzle those too lazy to do the same.
- Write a book so heavy in detail, it must be read 4x to grasp.
- Build a team who will deliver your product for peanuts, just to be associated with you.
All names have been changed to protect the innocent. :)